Monday, July 28, 2014

Losing my religion

I've become purposely less apologetic as time has gone on.  Why should I have to apologize for being human?

Hinduism has this to some extent, but not nearly as much as Christianity, a faith that pervades the world and a faith that I have been exposed to far too often; a faith I disagree with.  By the same extension, I disagree with most religions; however, monotheism is the most damning in my view.  It claims one God only is supreme and if you do not follow the ways they dictate you will never achieve the heaven or higher state of being, whatever your faith determines it to be.

With Islam and Christianity: too many have conquered, converted under threat of life, raped, and killed to glorify God's name.  These are the two faiths that proselytize.  And I have yet to see them atone for their crimes.

With Judaism: you're not the only persecuted people, so don't think you're so fucking special because you were so persecuted.  Africans were persecuted.  Native Americans were persecuted.  Asians were persecuted.

Buddhism and Hinduism are better in the sense they don't proselytize.  Nor do (most of) them think they are entitled.  (I definitely do think I am entitled because I am of the highest strata within the highest caste, but even that I cannot claim in full because of my mom.  I am Brahmin through and through both sides though, and that is a privilege I am entitled to hold.)




No comments: